The album, released on RSO in 1974, featured Dave Mattacks, Kevin Peak, Pete Zorn, Joe Egan and Gerry Rafferty.
The album cover was designed by Antony Sher who played Ringo.
John, Paul, George, Ringo ...
Commissioned and directed by Alan Dosser for Liverpool's Everyman Theatre where it opened in May 1974. The production transferred to the Lyric Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, London in August. The soundtrack with the London cast was released on album.
The Everyman Theatre
The show was a major box office success for the Everyman Theatre. Nearly fifteen thousand people attended during it's eight week run. A record at the time. At the Lyric Theatre, it ran for a year and won both the Evening Standard and London Critics' awards for BEST NEW MUSICAL of 1974.
The Liverpool Everyman was such creative powerhouse in the 1970s. "Even at the time and without the benefit of hindsight one knew just what an extraordinary company of actors Alan Dossor had assembled. As well as Bernard Hill and Tony Sher there was Johnathan Price, Alison Steadman, George Costigan, Trevor Eve, Liz Estensen, Philip Joseph, Matthew Kelly, Pete Postlethwaite, Julie Walters, Bill Nighy ..... awesome really." WILLY RUSSELL
- One of Barbara Dickson's most vivid memories is auditioning for Willy Russell's 'John, Paul, George, Ringo...& Bert'
- "Alan Dossor, the Everyman director, was very sceptical about a folk singer doing Beatles numbers," she explained. "But Willy didn't want four blokes because there would be direct comparisons, so they got the piano from the bistro downstairs and put it on stage on a truck. It was so high, I had to sit on a bar stool to play it. I was nervous but the company were a fantastic support. They even came to see me do a gig at a club in Rock Ferry."
(from the liverpool Echo)
In 1975 a screenplay was commissioned by the Robert Stigwood Organisation but never produced.
- 1. I Should Have Known Better
2. Your Mother Should Know
- 3. Ooee Boppa (W. Russell)
- 4. With A Little Help From My Friends
- 5. Penny Lane
- 6. In The Bleak Midwinter (Holst, Rosetti)
- 7. Here Comes The Sun (Harrison)
- 8. Long And Winding Road
- 9. Clap and Cheer
- 10. Help
- 11. Lucy In The Sky
- 12. You Never Give Me Money/Carry That Weight
- 13. We Can Work It Out
- 14. I Will Be Your Love (W. Russell)
- 15. A Day In The Life
- All other compositions by Lennon & McCartney